The site is live and running on Octopress. I’m super happy with the way it has turned out. From the base setup, I:
- Switched to the Fabric theme
- Added support for bigfootjs
- Added a couple of plugins (Responsive Video Embed, flickr)
- Tweaked the theme a little
- Debated my drafts workflow. Considered this, but went with this instead.1
- Tuned the web server for performance using this guide
The whole conversion process from exported markdown to properly-formatted markdown with proper YAML that Jekyll expected was about 2 elapsed weeks of free time here and there, chunking sets of posts and tweaking the site as I found something that I needed to do differently from the default. There was very little that was scriptable in that process, but I made use of some command-line perl and sed/awk as necessary.
Everything else about Octopress, heroku and re-implementing this site has been incredibly smooth.
It is not perfect. I’d prefer to have an easier way to do this, and until the various
raketasks become second-nature, I imagine I’m going to forget some posts along the way.↩